Saturday, October 03, 2009

Washington DC Exodus: Part One


I loaded up the boys and spent most of September trekking across the country to visit Ephraim's family outside DC in Virginia. I was a little nervous about doing this solo but miraculously, the boys were angels in the car. I guess with enough snacks and movies, anything is possible.

We made our way across Texas and Louisiana then stayed the night in Mississippi. Anyone ever stayed in a hotel alone with two crazy boys? I thought by requesting an "accessible" room on-line I'd be getting a ground floor room that would be more convenient. Instead, we were still up a few floors and the "accessible" part really meant that everything was lower, therefore at toddler level. So, my brilliant idea backfired. The boys got into everything and drove me slightly crazy but we survived (and the room did too, somehow...)

Next we drove to visit Ephraim's brother Alex, his wife Sara and son Jensen in Alabama. The boys loved playing at their house and antagonizing their sweet Shitzu Kiki. It was so nice to see them. Thanks for having us, Alex and Sara!

We forged ahead to Savannah, Georgia to Ephraim's brother Philip and his wife Paula's house. The boys had a blast with their cute cousins Isabella and William. We had a great time at the beach at Tybee Island and as always, enjoyed Paula's fantastic cooking. Homemade pralines and cream ice cream is to die for.

We survived our next day of driving up to Grandma and Grandpa Garner's house in Virginia and were excited to spend a few weeks with them. Look for details to come in Exodus: Part Two.

Max and cute cousin Jensen

Izzie and squishy-faced Ezra

Izzie and Ezra at Tybee Island

Don't be fooled by the boys' expressions, they LOVED the beach as much as I did.

6 comments:

gardeniagirl said...

Looks like fun! You are one brave girl! It's always a relief when your kids behave on long voyages.

*Aliese* said...

That picture of Izzie and Ezra on the beach is adorable; like postcard adorable. I commend you for traveling so long with your kiddos!

Becky Knowles said...

You really are a brave soul! I wouldn't even drive from Utah to Colorado by myself with the kiddos. I made Sam's little sister come along. :) I'm impressed. And, it looks like you had a GREAT time.

Brandon and Natalie said...

How fun! It looks like you guys had a great time!

Brandon and Natalie said...

I forgot that I think you are so brave to travel by yourself!

The Powells said...

You're seriously brave... that's just about as bad (if not worse) than me flying home for a visit with my kids! And I refuse to do it! Glad that you had fun (and that it helped pass some time for you!)